Dr. Rashmi Saraf is the first female dedicated interventional neuroradiologist in India. She is a Neuroendovascular & Neurointervention Specialist with an experience of more than 12 years. She is an expert in management of complete spectrum of neurovascular disorders such as complex Brain Aneurysms, Subarchnoid Haemorrhage, Acute Stoke Management, Cerebral Venous Thrombosis, Artervenous Malformation, Carotid Artery Disease, Intracranial Atherosclerosis and many more. She has performed extensive research on the management Intracranial Dural arteriovenous fistulas, She is well known for the management of maxillofacial vascular malformations and has written a chapter for the management of same in a book on Vascular malformations.
After completing her MD in Radiology, she joined KEM Hospital in 2006 and was trained in the field of Interventional Neuroradiology at one of the largest referral centres in the country for Endovascular Treatment. After finishing the fellowship at KEM, she has continued as an Assistant Professor in the same department till date which has further enhanced her expertise in the area of neurovascular disorders. Currently, she heads the Interventional Neuro Radiology (INR) department at KEM hospital along with the role of a visiting consultant at Wockhardt Hospital. She has also done an observership in the prestigious Neurointerventional Department of St Luke’s Hospital at Houston with Dr Micheal Mawad. She has tremendous interest in Academics with multiple publications in her name.
She had completed her graduation and post graduation from esteemed Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU. She received various distinctions and gold medals during her course. A few to name are Gold Medal for securing highest marks in Biochemistry,Dr. Shamer Singh Memorial Gold Medal for standing first in Anatomy, Shambhu Nath Memorial Gold Medal for securing highest marks in the Radiodiagnosis,Ram Niwas Jindal Gold Medal for securing highest marks in MD/MS examinations in the Institute andBHU Medal by President APJ Kalam for securing highest marks in MD/MS examinations in Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- Endovascular management of Brain Aneurysms
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Brain arteriovenous fistulas
- Extracranial and Intracranial atherosclerotic disease
- Acute stroke thrombolysis
- Spinal vascular malformations
- Paediatric neuromuscular disorders
- Craniofacial vascular malformations
Affiliations & Memberships
Research & Publications
- Assistant Professor and Incharge - Division of Interventional Neuroradiology at KEM Hospital - Current
- Visiting Consultant Interventional Neuroradiologist - WOCKHARDT HOSPITAL, MUMBAI
- Observership in the Dept. of Interventional Neuroradiology at St Luke\’s Hospital, Houston University, Texas with Dr. Micheal Mawad (2010)
- MUHS Fellowship in Division of Interventional Neuroradiology - King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai while working as a lecturer (2009 – 2010)
- Assistant Professor in Division of Interventional Neuroradiology - King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai (2009 – till date)
- Two-year Fellowship in Division of Interventional Neuroradiology - King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai (2007 – 2009)
- Ad-hoc Lecturer - Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai (2006)
- University prize for securing highest marks in 1st Professional M.B.B.S. Exam
- Gold Medal for securing highest marks in Biochemistry first Professional M.B.B.S. Exam
- Dr. Shamer Singh Memorial Gold Medal for standing first in Anatomy in first Professional M.B.B.S. Exam
- University prize for securing highest marks in second Professional M.B.B.S. Exam
- Shambhu Nath Memorial Gold Medal for securing highest marks in the Department of Radiodiagnosis, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Ram Niwas Jindal Gold Medal for securing highest marks in M.D./M.S. examinations in Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- BHU Medal by President APJ Kalam for securing highest marks in M.D./M.S. examinations in Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Guest speaker in multiple National Conferences and CMEs
- Multiple presentations at national and International Conferences
- Indian Radiology and Imaging Association
- Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery
- Wold Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology
- Medical Council of India (MCI)
- Undertook research towards a thesis as part of Post-Graduate training in Radiology. Worked on “Role Of High Resolution Ultrasonography In Musculoskeletal Disorders.”
- Research on “The Endovascular Treatment of Intracranial Dural Arterio-venous Fistulas with emphasis on the role of Onyx” as a part of the fellowship Program in Interventional Neuroradiology
- Research on “Intracranial Pediatric aneurysms: Clinical Presentation, Location, Endovascular treatment and its outcomes” as a part of the MUHS fellowship program.
- Presently working on Spinal Vascular malformations.
- Ellis-Van Creveld Syndrome (A case report)- Indian Journal of Radiology
- Endovascular management of hepatoportal fistula - interventional case report at the official website of KEM hospital.
- Embolization of cranial dural arteriovenous fistulae with ONYX: Indications, techniques, and outcomes. Rashmi Saraf, Manish Shrivastava, W Siddhartha, Uday Limaye. 2010 Jan-Feb;58:62-68.
- Evolution of endovascular management of intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas: Single centre experience. Rashmi Saraf, Manish Shrivastava, Nishant Kumar, Uday Limaye.
- Mechanical device the Penumbra system in the management of acute stroke: report of five cases. Huded V, Saraf R, Limaye U. Neurol India. 2009 May-Jun;57(3):310-2.
- Intra-arterial thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: A single center experience. Huded V, Dhomne S, Shrivastava M, Saraf R, Limaye U.Neurol India. 2009 Nov-Dec;57(6):764
- Intracranial pediatric aneurysms: endovascular treatment and its outcome: Clinical article. Rashmi Saraf, Manish Shrivastava, Wuppalapati Siddhartha, Uday Limaye Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics Sep 2012 / Vol. 10 / No. 3, Pages 230-240
- Ruptured intracranial tubercular infectious aneurysm secondary to a tuberculoma and its endovascular management R. Saraf, U. Limaye, British Journal of Neurosurgery 2013 Apr;27(2):243-5
- Endovascular management of giant intracranial aneurysms of the posterior circulation. Uday Limaye, Akshay Baheti, Rashmi Saraf, Manish Shrivastava. Neurology India, Vol 60, Issue 6, Dec 2012
- Conference Paper: Packing It In: The Imaging and Percutaneous Pre-operative Management of Vertebral Aneurysmal Bone Cysts, Ulhaas Shankar Chakraborty, Inthulan Thiraviaraj, Rashmi Saraf, Uday Limaye Radiological Society of North America 2013 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting.